This morning, I put the finishing touches (buttons) on the Baby-In-The-Hood jacket I've been working on for the past week.
I have to say, I really liked this pattern, but it definitely was not an easy pattern. I became well acquainted with my seam ripper, and redid the hood and re-attached the sleeves several times before I got it the way I wanted it. Part of this was because I'm generally not so great at sewing curved seams. The other part was because of my chosen fabric - velveteen. It is really "grippy" so it made it difficult to maneuver the fabric to get the curves just right. I think the next time I make this, I will use just a regular cotton and it will go much smoother.
I made the 6-9month size, and I would say the sizing looks pretty good. It is quite loose on my little man right now, but that is exactly what I wanted. He's only 10 weeks old, and I wanted him to at least be able to wear it through the fall.
All in all, I would definitely (and have plans to) sew this pattern again. The only thing I would change about the pattern is that Anna Maria instructs you to sew the outer jacket parts, and then repeat steps on the lining pieces. I would definitely switch this, and sew the lining pieces first. That way, you get to practice easing in the shoulder seams, or building the hood on the inner pieces that won't be so prominent, in case it isn't quite perfect. My 4th shoulder seam is MUCH prettier and smoother than my first, and I am glad the first one I did is concealed inside the coat.
Also, while reading the pattern, I could not for the life of me picture how the button placket was going to work, but once you get to that part of the pattern, it makes perfect sense and is quite clever and lovely.
Clearly, Sawyer loves the jacket too. :)